To connect people with God and one another, and become People who:
Unreservedly love God, and seek to know Him intimately.
Genuinely and practically love People
Obediently seek to develop others into committed followers of Jesus.
Passionately pursue Christ's Kingdom in the course of daily life.
This Mission is to be pursued - locally, regionally, and globally.
OUR DREAM is that of becoming a multi-venue Church in the NE Sebago Lake region, that is becoming:
so passionate about our love for Jesus that It is obvious to everyone
so real in our love for one another that people outside of our congregation are being drawn to us
so practical in our love for our "neighbor" that our communities are being transformed
so biblical in our teaching & practice that others want to know more about the Bible
so active in prayer that God's blessings flow abundantly
so joyful in our worship that “church” is fun!
so filled with / led by God’s Spirit that miracles are becoming the norm
so unified in our relationships that people feel connected
so relevant to our surrounding culture that we are anything but "Old” (even though we’ve been around for 147 yrs)
so active in sharing the Good News** that people are entering into an eternal relationship with God - daily
so equipped for ministry that serving Christ / His Church is genuinely fulfilling
so globally invested that our focus is always "into all the world"
so widespread in our reach, that we can’t be ignored
so friendly that anyone who gathers with us knows that they are welcome
**"Good News" - that Jesus Christ is God's Provision ...
* to Restore our Relationship with God ... as Our SAVIOR
* to Enable us to become like Jesus ... as Our SANCTIFIER
* to Address our Physical Needs ... as Our HEALER
* to Give us Hope beyond this life ... as Our COMING KING!
WE BELIEVE the following: (#) direct to support Bible verses below
JESUS CHRIST: is the true God and the true man (100% divine, 100% human) (4)
* He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.(5)
* All who believe in Him are declared righteous by God, based upon His shed blood.(8)
* He physically arose from the dead (9), and is now in Heaven with the Father
* He continually acts as Mediator / High Priest – between ourselves and God (10)
* He will come again to establish His eternal kingdom of righteousness and peace.(11)
THE HOLY SPIRIT: is a divine person(12) – even as the Father and the Son
* He has been sent to indwell, guide, teach, empower those who have accepted God’s salvation in Jesus (13)
* He is also the One who convicts and convinces those who have yet to “believe” - of their sin, of God’s righteousness, and of God’s coming judgment upon all who will not believe.(14)
THE BIBLE: is God’s Written Word / Message to Humanity
* It consists of the Old & New Testaments – both of which are of equal value to the Believer today
* It is without error – in text and context – as originally given
* It was “verbally inspired” by God (each word given as God intended His Message to be written), and divinely imparted through human writers
* It is the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men, and the divine and only rule of Christian faith and practice.(15)
HUMANITY: was originally created in the image, likeness, and character of God (16)
* We “fell” (failed, destroyed our standing before God and as His caretakers of Creation) through disobedience to God’s specific command and principles
* As a result of the “Fall,” we incurred both physical and spiritual death.
* As a result of the “Fall,” each / every Human Being is born with a sinful nature,(17) and is separated from the eternal life that God intended we experience
* We can be reconciled to God / renewed in an eternal relationship with Him only through a personal acceptance of the amending work of Jesus Christ for our individual lives (18) (see next statement)
RECONCILIATION WITH GOD: has been provided through Jesus Christ for all men
* Those who repent of their sin and put their eternal trust in Him are “born again” of the Holy Spirit, receive the gift of eternal life, and become the children of God. (19) Their assurance is that of eternal joy and bliss in the presence of God. (20)
* Those who do NOT accept God’s provision of reconciliation through Jesus Christ will be separated from God, and will exist in conscious torment, eternally. (21)
FILLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT: It is the will of God that each disciple of Christ should be filled with the Holy Spirit
* This means yielding the control / direction of one’s own life to the leadership / rule of God in our lives
* This results in being separated / unique from the lifestyles and philosophies of our sinful world
* We believe this filling is both a crisis (point in time – at the moment of salvation) and a progressive (on-going, growing) experience developed in the life of the believer following one’s decision to accept Christ (24)
DIVINE PHYSICAL HEALING: has been provided for in the saving death of the Lord Jesus on the Cross. (25) Prayer for those who are sick, along with anointing with oil, are taught in the Scriptures and are privileges for the Church today. (26)
THE CHURCH: consists of all those who have put their eternal trust in the Lord Jesus Christ for their salvation, and are born again of the Holy Spirit.
* Jesus Christ is the Head of the Body, the Church, (27)
* The Church has been commissioned by Him to go into all the world as a witness, proclaiming the Gospel (good news of salvation through Jesus) to all nations.(28)
* The local church is a body of believers in Christ who are joined together in a local area for the worship of God, for encouragement and instruction through the Word of God, for prayer, fellowship, the proclaiming of the Gospel, and the observance of the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.(29)
THE RESURRECTION: There shall be a bodily resurrection of both – those who put their faith in Jesus, and those who do not.
* For those who do put their faith in Jesus before their death – their Resurrection will be unto Eternal Life (30)
* For those who do NOT put their faith in Jesus before their death – their Resurrection will be one unto Eternal Judgment (31)
THE SECOND COMING OF JESUS CHRIST: can happen at any time that God determines (as revealed in the prophesies of the Bible) (32)
* His coming will be in person, physically
* His coming will be visible to ALL Humanity (33)
* His coming will take place prior to the beginning of the 1,000 year reign of Jesus on earth (the “Millennium”) (34)
* His coming is the Believer’s “blessed hope” and is a vital truth which is an incentive to holy living and faithful service.(35)
THE REASON we hold to these Beliefs:
 Deuteronomy 6:4,  Matthew 5:48,  Matthew 28:19,  Philippians 2:6–11,  Luke 1:34–38,  1 Peter 3:18,  Hebrews 2:9,  Romans 5:9,  Acts 2:23–24,  Hebrews 8:1,  Matthew 26:64,  John 14:15–18,  John 16:13; Acts 1:8,  John 16:7–11,  2 Peter 1:20–21; 2 Timothy 3:15–16,  Genesis 1:27,  Romans 3:23,  1 Corinthians 15: 20–23,  John 1: 12; Titus 3:4–7,  Revelation 21:1–4,  Revelation 20: 15; 21:8, 1 Thessalonians 5:23,  Acts 1:8,  Romans 6:1–14,  Matthew 8:16–17,  James 5:13–16,  Ephesians 1:22–23,  Matthew 28:19–20,  Acts 2:41–47,  1 Corinthians 15:20–23,  John 5:28–29,  Hebrews 10:37,  Matthew 24: 26-27, 30; Revelation 1: 7;  Luke 21:27,  Titus 2:11–14
Hi! I'm "Rick" (or "Pastor Rick" for those who like a bit more formality), and this is the love of my life, Peggy. Yes, we are both fans of the Pat’s and the Red Sox - even though neither of us grew up in New England (Peggy - Florida, Me - Michigan). We are both 1980 graduates of Toccoa Falls College (Georgia), and have pastored churches in Ohio, Michigan, Florida, New Hampshire, and Maine (Bethel and Otisfield).
We have two married sons, Joshua and Jason. Joshua is married to Erin; they have 2 children, Michaela & Luke, and live in Bethel, Maine. Jason is married to Rayna; they live Brandywine, Maryland.
Maine is where our hearts have been for many years (having come here in 1995), and Otisfield and the Lakes Region community is our home. We live in a log home on 30+ acres of land that has a view of the western mountains. Every day we marvel at God’s blessing in bringing us to Otisfield!
AND! we love being part of the SCC family - what a joy to pastor this group of people! We’re a “laid back” (others’ description of us), loving, friendly, laughing group of people - that loves God and other People - and has a vision that extends “beyond our four walls!”
Come, check us out - you’ll see what I’m talking about!
Our church building has been around for over 145 years - but SCC is not a building ... it's a gathering of people, with like beliefs, like communities, who actually like - one another!
Here at Spurr's Corner, we have people from all walks of life - single, married, divorced/remarried, children, youth, mid-lifers, and seniors. We have people in building/construction, community leadership, teaching, manufacturing, child care, clerical, small business, stay-at-home moms, sales, and other vocations.
So, most likely, no matter who you are, or where you are in your life, you will fit in just fine, and know someone you've met before. Otisfield and its surrounding communities are strongly interconnected with family and friends, and our church reflects that dynamic. Come, and check the “family.”
THE FOUNDATION of our MESSAGE is that Jesus Christ is our Savior, Sanctifier, Healer, and Coming King, and translates into the following truths:
1. God loves each one of us, and created us to have a personal relationship with Him.
2. As part of the human race, our inherent and personal sin (failing to adhere to God's absolute standards / commands) keeps us from having that relationship with Him.
3. God provided a way for you to be brought back into that relationship with Him - through His Son, Jesus Christ, dying on a Roman cross to pay the punishment for our sin, and rising from the dead guaranteeing the assurance of eternal life with Him.
4. Only through Jesus Christ can any of us have that relationship with God.
5. Each of us must individually respond to God by accepting this message as Truth, and by putting the trust of our life in Him as our own Savior (forgiving our sin) and Lord (directing our life).
6. Making this definitive decision begins a life-long / eternity-long personal relationship with God. He comes into our life, fulfilling the deepest needs and yearnings of every human being ... and brings us into an inter-personal relationship with other people who have taken the same step of faith for their life.
THE CHRISTIAN & MISSIONARY ALLIANCE
Spurr's Corner Church has a rich history, and has "housed" several different denominations since 1872, including Congregational and Baptist. Today (since 1957), we are part of the New England District of the denomination known as The Christian & Missionary Alliance, or simply, "The Alliance."
The Alliance is Christian because we believe and follow Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. We are Missionary because we are committed to reaching people in over 80 nations throughout the world with the life-transforming message of Jesus Christ, as well as planting local churches in His name. And we are an Alliance of believers in Jesus from many different backgrounds, joined together in local churches worldwide, committed to recognizing, worshiping, and proclaiming Jesus Christ as Savior, Sanctifier, Healer and Coming King.
(For more info on the C&MA, click on our "Links" tab)